Re: [ARSCLIST] Error concatenation (was RIAA phono EQ and Neumann time constant)

Hello, Eric,

This is indeed an interesting anomaly.

I think we need a catalog of off-standard calibration factors--and I'd be willing to make that a specific category on my blog ( www.richardhess.com/notes/ ). I accept guest articles should you be interested -- or I can point to your article.

HOWEVER, it is a very tiny error compared to what we're seeing in tape. There is a 4 dB at 16 kHz uncertainty in the cassette format which I believe I have fully documented (minus one uncertainty which sets the centre point of the anomaly--we know the two ends) at
http://richardhess.com/notes/2006/05/17/cassette-equalization-the-4-db-ambiguity-at-16-khz/

While the off-standard factors are probably not as large in reel tape as in cassettes, they, too, are larger than what you are discussing concerning discs. The good news about the tape variability in the disc chain is many (if not most) tapes had multi-frequency tones printed to them which would then be used to calibrate the playback machine prior to the disc cutting process.

A friend of mine and I think they may be as much as a 3-4 dB window in calibration tapes at 15-16 kHz after the NAB (NARTB) standard became a standard. Prior to that, there is even greater variability in tape. This is a down-the-road round-toit project for me as it involves a lot of fussy work in actually measuring several boxes of old, but unused, calibration tapes.

Cheers,

Richard