Re: [ARSCLIST] Copyright and typefaces

On 24/03/07, Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:

>> Since the PostScript file can be edited with a text editor, one could
>> easily change the notice to assert rights of the person who created
>> it - but is that legal? I wonder whether the original assertion is
>> valid.
>>
> Well...your copyright applies ONLY to the font (i.e. the shape and
> design of the characters). Any information you make available over the
> internet or on some digital storage medium is NOT copyrighted... but,
> should someone make that same data available using your copyrighted
> font, it is the LETTERS/NUMBERS/USW. that are violating copyright...
> NOT the information itself!

In most countries, the design of a font cannot be copyrighted, but the
code to produce it _is_ copyright.

> In the pre-digital world, you would have one or more patents on the
> devices containing the information...as well as a copyright on the
> words used to present that information.
>
> Actually, we are very fortunate that the "Roman" alphabet as well
> as "Arabic" numerals were developed well before things could be
> copyrighted or patented...
>
> Steven C. Barr
> (Thought for the day: suppose you take the time to create an entirely
> new alphabet, with a character representing each possible sound that
> a human being can utter (or otherwise make)...would you copyright
> your new set of characters, or patent it? Explain in detail and
> provide precedents where possible. This assignment is due on...)

As this would be scientific research, it should be openly published in a
peer-reviewed journal, and made freely available to other researchers.

The application of "Intellectual Property" to everything has become a
menace.

Regards
--
Don Cox