To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 1:42 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Two other N.Y. Times article on a different type of digitizing

I would agree with you for the most part. I spent a good deal of time around Tom Dowd around those years, and I have some trouble thinking of him as the problem with the sounds themselves. He seemed to have a very, very good ear. Not that it actually applies, but Tom was very, very bright, something you didn't get just to look at him. He looked more like a leftover '50's beatnik than anything. He actually worked on the Manhattan project during WW2, of all things. What I remember most was his ability to get a good session vibe out of a bad one, and get much more out of the musicians than they thought they had. Generally the talent really loved him, and not because he was soft on them.

Now that I think about it, I do remember that the record companies
tended to give Tom the sessions that were either already a mess, or were
likely to be. He also seemed to bring things in close to budget in an
era of waste and drug abuse.

My recollection was also that the owner of Criteria was involved in the
engineering on these sessions as well, and God bless him, I can remember
his engineering and mixing described more than once as if "Helen Keller
mixed that...". There was no excuse for that in terms of microphones,
consoles, speakers, outboard gear and the like. It was all top of the
line stuff, well maintained, with 24/7 maintenance in house. The
in-house engineers were generally very decent, when they were used. The
control room for most of the 'Derek' tapes, Studio 'A', the control room
was the smallest and oldest at Criteria, but the studio room was quite
large with very high ceilings. The gear was not old or out of date.
Mixing in 'A' was something you had to work at, as the control room was
too small to sound good. It was a good room to track in, but not mix. It
didn't explain the high noise levels on those tapes though...it
shouldn't have happened.

..Sorry to all if this is all off topic or not of general interest...!!

..Best regards,

Scott Phillips