Re: [ARSCLIST] The case for message boards.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brandon Burke" <burke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Let me pose the question again: is this list a country club or are we
> providing
> a service for the sound collections community?

And, in turn, let me pose the question which is implied by the question
above is it is now worded:

WHICH (or which part of the) sound collections community?!

Magnetic tape, digital (if so, DVD, CD, DAT or some other form), analog
vinyl, shellac disc, wax (or celluloid) cylinder...?

And should the list be concerned with cataloguing, preserving, archiving
or documenting these collections...or issues concerning copyright law
as it applies to the collections or the recordings therein...?

Finally, collections of private individuals, public libraries, educational
institutions, government (if so, which level) or corporate entities...?

If the reply is "all of those, of course" you have just justified ARSCLIST
as it currently exists. If it defines a subgroup with a set of selected
qualifications, you have just excluded at least some ARSC members
and/or ARSCLIST subscribers!

Referring to my 78rpm discs...Thomas "Fats" Waller recorded a tune with
a title that may be applicable here:

"You're Not the Only Oyster In the Stew"...!