Re: [ARSCLIST] Tapes and Mold

I agree, except for one other part - after vacuuming down the tape with a
HEPA vacuum I treat both sides of the tape with a slightly moistened cotton
ball which has Hydrogen Peroxide on it.  Also, the flanges are to be treated
in this manner as well.  This means, putting the analog tape on to a new
reel which will have to be treated also once the tape goes back onto its
original reel.  The wearing of the mask IS extremely important, you do not
want to breathe in any spores as they are hazardous to your health.

Once we have done this we have a machine for taking off the remainder of the
mold, plus you can triage the tape at the same time (clean up old splices,
get rid of old glue and replace splices with archival grade splicing tape.

Hope this helps.

Marie

Marie O'Connell
Sound Archivist/Audio Engineer/Sound Consultant
3017 Nebraska Avenue
Santa Monica, CA, 90404
Ph: 310-453-1615
Fax: 310-453-1715