Re: [ARSCLIST] flash recorder recommendations

Personally I'm fond of the modified Marantz PMD660 from Oade Brothers. At around $560 it's only $50-$100 more than the stock PMD660 and has much cleaner micpres.

If you have the money to spend, the Sound Devices units are excellent.

I'm not a fan of the Edirol, M-Audio or Zoom units for interviewing--my primary use--but they might work well for lecture recording purposes.

Fostex has a new unit--I'm not sure if it's out yet--the FR2-LE, that specs wonderfully and will apparently list at $499. If it pans out, this will be the one to beat in the $500 range.

I maintain a website dedicated to field audio equipment that might be of use to you:

http://www.vermontfolklifecenter.org/res_audioequip.htm

Best,

andy