Re: [ARSCLIST] DAT Archival Housing

Parker Dinkins wrote:
on 2/19/07 6:50 AM US/Central, Jerry Hartke at jhartke@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

DAT and 8 mm tapes use in-contact helical scan heads that actually deform
the tape and penetrate the plane of the tape. This can cause excessive tape
wear. Build-up of the residue on the head can result in a redeposit of the
previously-removed coating, scratching the tape. Powerful error correction
built into the formats usually recover the information, but there is a
significant risk for the archivist.

Yes, and leaving a machine in pause at one location can eventually cause significant problems. BBC DATs were often accompanied by error printouts; some DAT machines have playback condition warning lamps.

The 3700 had an easy way to read the error count. I haven't found this on any other machine..anyone know if the Tascam DA-20 or DA-30 can indicate error rates?

dl