Re: [ARSCLIST] Listening Copy

Hello, Farris,

If you have 44.1/16 WAV files on a server already, and your listening "dumb terminal" can connect to that server over 100 Mb/s Ethernet, then there may be no need to go to the trouble of making MP3 files from the WAV files.

The WAV file is only running at 1.4 Mb/s, much less than the capacity of a 100 Mb/s of the Ethernet connection. I can run 44.1/16 WAV files reliably over a wireless 802.11g network (one file is all I've ever tested).

There is significant variability between MP3 encoders. When I run the one that comes with Samplitude (and I'm not sure which one it is any more, since I didn't have to execute a separate license as I did in the past) there is an option for highest quality that takes about 5x as long to encode as the lowest quality. The highest quality at 128 kb/s and above (I like doing music at 192 kb/s) sounds very much like the original WAV files.

I recently received a 160 kb/s MP3 of a song to audition done by a recording engineer that sounded substantially worse than the 128 kb/s Windows Media file ripped by the artist for my convenience. When I finally got the CD, neither sounded as close as the MP3s I make. For larger projects, I usually batch convert MP3s overnight as I cannot take the time during the work day to run them.

I was totally amazed at the difference in quality between various lossy encoders and don't want to repeat the experiment with the song noted above.

Cheers,

Richard