Re: [ARSCLIST] Fixing damaged LP jackets...

All my Lps are bagged,with the records outside the covers..Most serious record dealers do not recommend you tape the covers.

                                    Roger

David Lennick <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Don't know about anyone else, but if there's one thing I can't stand it's
opaque tape masking any part of an album cover. And what were people thinking
when they used that packing tape with the strands in it? Ever clean up the mess
when that stuff dries up and starts falling off the jacket? At least it usually
falls off clean. Unlike black electric tape..boy, what a sticky mess that leaves.

Then there's duct tape....

dl

John Ross wrote:
> Our brethren and sistren involved in preserving books and other printed
> matter have developed many fine products for archival repairs of books
> and other printed matter.
>
> I have been using Scotch brand No. 845 Book Tape to mend the edges of LP
> sleeves for many years; I have had no trouble with deterioration over time.
>
> I like the clear 845 Book Tape because it does not obliterate the text
> at the edges of the sleeve, but if that's not an issue, University
> Products offers both Tyvek and linen tapes that would also be useful for
> repairing record jackets.
>
> The University Products catalog is a great resource for both repair and
> storage products:
> http://www.archivalsuppliers.com/.
>
> One minor issue about using tape to repair record jackets: If you use
> tape on a lot of records, the thickness of the tape (always in the same
> places along the edges) can accumulate to reduce the total number of
> records you can store on a shelf.
>
> John Ross
>
> At  2/11/2007 04:54 PM, Graham Newton wrote:
>> I keep coming across the old LP album jackets (typically early RCA
>> Victor LPM series ca. 1955 or thereabouts made from two pieces of thin
>> cardboard) that are split open in a flap and only held together by the
>> spine paper.
>>
>> These are the type where the printed back paper page was glued to the
>> back cardboard which it overlapped, then folded over and glued to the
>> front cardboard thus holding the two cardboard sheets together.  The
>> front cover illustration or graphic sheet was then glued over the
>> front cardboard and covered the folded edges of the back sheet.
>>
>> There is no edge room to use a bead of hot glue to fix these things,
>> and I don't want to use any sticky tape which will dry out and
>> eventually fall off as I have seen many do in the past!
>>
>> Years ago, in broadcasting, we used to use white surgical cloth backed
>> tape of the kind they used to hold bandages on, but I don't know if
>> you can still get that and certainly it would not be cheap!  I still
>> have albums that were fixed with that tape that hold up well today,
>> although a clear archival tape with similar long lasting adhesive
>> qualities would be good.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a suitable tape or means to fix these split album
>> jackets?
>>

>> ... Graham Newton
>>
>> --
>> Audio Restoration by Graham Newton, http://www.audio-restoration.com
>> World class professional services applied to tape or phonograph
>> records for
>> consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR's CAMBRIDGE processes.

"If you're not on somebody's watchlist,you're not doing your job"

                          Dave Von Kleist

Need Mail bonding?