To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 6:27 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Transporting 10 inch pancakes

on 2/6/07 3:59 PM US/Central, Jerry McBride at jerry.mcbride@xxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

Does anyone have experience with moving a collection of quarter-inch
tapes, as ten-inch pancakes in their original boxes? It seems logical to
assume that it would be safer to ship or move tape on reels. How great
is the danger that the pancake will come unwound under normal shipping
and moving conditions if stored on hubs in the original boxes?

AES Standard for audio preservation and restoration- Magnetic tape - Care and handling practices for extended usage (AES49-2005):

4.5.5 Flangeless hubs

Sometimes magnetic tape is stored on flangeless hubs. When this practice is
used, the following recommendations shall be observed:

a) Only backcoated tape designed for storage on a flangeless hub shall be
stored in this manner. Non-backcoated tape will not wind properly and is at
high risk of falling off the tape pack.

<snip>

In the past week I've received and repaired two broken tape packs which were stored on flangeless hubs.

One of these was backcoated tape which didn't travel via common carrier at
all. The other was non-backcoated and packed tightly with a styrofoam tape
spacer.

--
Parker Dinkins
MasterDigital Corporation