Re: [ARSCLIST] Transporting 10 inch pancakes

I agree with Richard. If the pancakes are held tightly top and bottom within their tape boxes, and then the pile of tape boxes is held tightly together within one larger box, and that box is nested in a sea of packing material in a still larger box, and you insure it for full replacement value, you should be able to rest easy. Note that winter weather is gripping the central and eastern part of the country, so if these are tapes which should not sit in well-below-zero depots and trucks, ship them faster-to-destination. It was -2 degrees outside when I got up just before sunrise today. 15 degrees when I left for work a couple hours later. Yesterday was colder still. Midwest and New England have it colder than here.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard L. Hess" <arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 5:26 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Transporting 10 inch pancakes

Hi, Jerry,

It depends. MOST (but not all) boxes with
pancakes had inserts that took up the space of
the flanges within the box forming a safe, tight
pack. Other times, panckes came on plastic trays
that nestled in a 10- or 12-pack. Either of these
methods are fine to ship pancakes.

If you're talking one or two, certainly screw
flanges on, but if you're talking 50-100, and
they are packed as originally sold, the damage of
handling the tape is, in my opinion, greater than
the risk from moving damage. I would tape each
box closed after inspecting that the pancake is
tight. Then I'd pack the whole thing in a tight
carton. If these are extra-valuable AND you're
shipping by common carrier, I would wrap that in
single-sided corrugated wrapping and tightly
stuff it inside a larger box. The goal here is to
prevent crushing that would spring an individual
box open and crush the pancake.

Empty reels are selling for $30 these days,
although flanges may still be cheaper, but you
also have to get the hardware. The nuts with the
screw-like tapered heads on them are called "sex
nuts" believe it or not. I think US Recording Media has the pieces.

Cheers,

Richard