To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2007 2:55 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Harry Carney

I'm preparing a review of the new Mosaic box set of 1935-40 Ellington
small group dates.  I couldn't like it more if I tried, and there are few
tracks without Mr. Carney either anchoring the ensembles or soloing
memorably.  Ben Webster worked briefly for DE in 1935, otherwise HC took
the place of a tenor saxophone in the Ellington reed section, always
giving it a full, expansive sound.

Dick

phillip holmes <insuranceman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx>
02/04/2007 02:45 PM
Please respond to
Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx>

To ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx cc

Subject
Re: [ARSCLIST] Harry Carney

Thanks for the leads. I'll start searching. I'm amazed by the number of Ellington dates/sides/albums. I've got quite a few, but they tend to be from the late '50s and on. "Festival Junction" is amazing. It was so good my wife took notice. That whole album is amazing.