[ARSCLIST] Empire turntables

Does anybody have any useful advice or opinions about Empire turntables? In particular, whether they're a good choice for playing 78s?

I have an opportunity to buy one (sorry, don't know which model number) for $100. It seems to be in decent condition (probably needs a new belt, just on general principle). I would use it with a Shure M78 cartridge.

My biggest concern is that it does not offer variable speed, so I won't be able to adjust it for different types, ages and brands of discs. I suppose I could adjust the speed in software, but that's not always an option for casual listening.

Any thoughts?

John Ross