Re: [ARSCLIST] Thanks! Was: *Windows* Floppy Disc Blues--aka data recovery software suggestions?

Ah yes, Zips. They also have a tendancy toward that wonderful "click of death," which Iomega finally had to class-action-settle about. Yay! We all got $5 toward a new Zip disk. I just last month decomissioned our last Zip-drive-containing computer at work.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Frank Strauss" <fbsdmd@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 6:21 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Thanks! Was: *Windows* Floppy Disc Blues--aka data recovery software suggestions?

On 1/31/07, Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Andy:

My experience, and it's well documented elsewhere -- "floppy" disks of any
size are far from
archival or reliable. I'd make sure ANYTHING of value you have on that
media is backed up elsewhere.
If you've never had a failure until now, you are incredibly lucky.

One man's opinion here -- GOOD RIDDANCE to any of those magnetic in
plastic evil little things! Zips
included!

-- Tom Fine

I would totally agree with Tom on floppy reliability, especially ZIP
disks.  Every once in awhile a given 3 1/2 drive would do strange things to
the little metal shutter on a given disk.  Too many moving parts.

-- Frank B Strauss, DMD