Re: [ARSCLIST] Rosemary Brown

And of course there were the "famous" Jo Stafford off-key recordings. Someone once said you had to be very good to be that 'bad'.

Mark Durenberger

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karl Miller" <karl.miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 8:41 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Rosemary Brown

Perhaps a most appropriate comparison. I am also reminded of Mrs. Miller (no relation). A different friend knew her before she became famous. As that story goes, this friend of mine was working for a Christian Publishing company. Mrs. Miller was friends with the head of the company. She had been recording her singing at home and wanted to have it sound more professional. So my friend's boss decided that Mrs. Miller should go to a professional studio and hire some musicians, etc. My friend's boss invited him one of the rehearsals, held in a local church. As she started singing...well my friend said he had to crouch down behind a pew and hold his moulth to keep from laughing. As the story goes, Mrs. Miller knew people found her funny, but she didn't really care, she just felt she was doing popular music a favor. While Nancy Sinatra had the hit with "These Boots are Made for Walking," for me, it is Mrs. Miller's recording that I'll always remember.

I should add, it was that same friend who supplied me with a group of audition tapes...you haven't lived until you have heard Zorina Blessinger sing "The Nightingale." I have always wondered if that was a put on or a real person.

Karl

Steven Smolian <smolians@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 The Florence Foster Jenkins of composers.

Steve Smolian