From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard L. Hess
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 1:54 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] The Time has come......

At 04:12 PM 2007-01-23, Kiwi O'Connell wrote:
>I would buy none.  Quantegy did not address the problem of SSS.

Hi, Kiwi,

They CLAIMED they did it while still being Ampex tape in the 1990s.
I'm not sure to what extent it was cured, but that was the claim.
Have you seen mid-to-late 90s stuff from Ampex/Quantegy go SSS? I
have some late date 456 here that was well stored at the Museum of
Civilization in Ottawa that is disappointing as a source of SSS -- I
wanted it to have SSS but if it does, it's much more minor than most
SSS tapes I get for transfer.

>I found them to be more trouble than anything else.

Even Pyral ?

Grin, duck, and run....

Cheers,

Richard