From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Tom Fine
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 4:46 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Soundcard/iTunes phollies

This post may be of help to a Windows user having playback problems with
iTunes. I swapped in a
M-Audio Delta 2496 card to replace on-motherboard junko-sound in a computer
and a strange problem
resulted. Playback of MP3 or MPEG or whatever in Windows Media Player was
just fine. Likewise for
RealPlayer and other assorted playback software except for iTunes/Quicktime.
Sound would be chopped
and full of dropouts. Apple's website was marginally helpful, at least it
gave me a clue where to
look. After going through Apple's checklist of things to "fix" and coming up
empty -- including
updating to latest M-Audio driver and DirectX software -- I noticed their
instructions for the older
versions of Quicktime involved tweaking the hardware buffer. I checked out
the M-Audio controls and
noticed that by default they are set for small-size buffer and thus low
latency (since the
presumption is that they'd be used for recording or as part of a small
Protools rig). I increased
the buffer size to 1024 samples from 256 and the problem went away.
Apparently, iTunes/Quicktime is
such a resource hog that it needs more data-caching than any other media
player on this computer.

This cure might not work in all cases or with all cards but I figured I'd
share. I think most
soundcards have a place either in their control panel or in their device
driver panel to set latency
and/or buffer. I must also add that the M-Audio card -- bought as B-stock
from BSW for $70 -- sounds
far better than the Intel on-motherboard sound chip.

-- Tom Fine