From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Karl Miller
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2007 9:07 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Classical record review media

Not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish with your list...for
example...As for the Newspapers you mention, our label has been covered in
the New York and LA Times, Rochester paper, Dallas Morning News, etc.
However, most of the critics of the major papers tell us that their editors
aren't interested in reviewing classical records. I used to write for the
Austin paper and wanted to do record reviews. They limited me to one or two
feature articles on labels.

As for magazines:

American Record Guide
International Piano
BBC Music Magazine
International Record Review
Turok's Choice

Piano Journal has some reviews and feature articles

Online resources:

www.classical.net (for me, the best single place for classical music on
the web)
www.classicstoday.com
http://www.classicalmusicguide.com/rreviews/rreviews.htm
www.andante.com
http://www.classicalcdreview.com
http://www.mvdaily.com
http://www.allmusic.com/

Many of the instrument specific journals offer record reviews.

In your post you mention the notion of positive reviews being an equation
to sales...I can only speak from my personal experience...not true. I would
be happy to discuss at length, but for me, the most significant was our
release of pianist Fannie Bloomfield Zeisler. The reviews were stunning. We
didn't even make back our costs. Another example...feature articles in
Musical Opinion, we even took out ads...no marked increase in sales.

On the other hand, unless you get a review, nobody will know its out
there.

Hope this helps.

Karl
Steven Smolian wrote:
I'm assembling a list of surviving classical record review magazines,
papers that run classical music reviews, blogs, etc. for a client. This
includes the US foreign language press and magazines of all countries. I'm
less interested in publications that have only long articles focussing on
one or two releases, such as The New Yorker.)

Here is what I've come up with to start

Magazines:
ARSC Journal
Classic Record Collector
Fanfare
Gramophone
Notes
Opera (vocal)
Opera News (vocal)
Record Collector (the classsical vocal one)
Strad (string playing)

Significant newspapers that review classical CDs: (I'm not sure of the
names) (Significant means there is a large enough readership that a positive
response will result in a measurable increase in sales.)

Aufbau (do they still do record reviews?)
Chicago Times
Christian Science Monitor
New York Times
Los Angeles Times
Village Voice (do they still do classical reviews?
Washington Post
Washington Blade (Can others supply the named of gay-oriented papers in
other cities?)

Radio:
NPR
WBJC (Baltimore)

Net:
Amazon.com
Music on the Web

Additions to and comments about the above list are welcomed.

Steve Smolian