Re: [ARSCLIST] Paper leader tape

I don't believe that we have ever had the problem of sticky leader tape
here, and the only time I noted leader affected by static was with
cheap, thin red stuff.  The heavier leader behaves fine.  However, I
have  been waiting for someone to mention that paper leader is
hygroscopic, a significant undesirable trait.

Sue

Susan T Stinson, Curator
Belfer Audio Laboratory and Archive
Syracuse University Library
222 Waverly Avenue
Syracuse, NY 13244-2010
315-443-3477 / fax 443-4866

>>> tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 1/10/2007 7:10 PM >>>
I agree with Richard. I don't mind redoing old splices but I do not
like tape being damaged by
plastic leader gone sticky. In my brief summer job career at a major
NYC studio, we got a batch of
3M plastic leader, the 2" variety, and it was manufactured so it would
do what sticky-shed tapes
do -- put gunk all over the tape path -- just from being run at normal
tension. 3M 2" machines are
not so easy to clean of this gunk. We went through 3 different orders
from 3 different suppliers
before we found leader tape that was back to normal. I believe 3M
acknowledged that some bad batches
got out, but don't quote me on that. This would have been summer of
1982. It was a well-known
problem at least in the NYC studio community at the time.

Agree with Ed Falk that paper leader rarely holds splicing tape over
time, but I'd much rather
replace a splice than lose a few seconds of content.

-- Tom Fine