Re: [ARSCLIST] early CD bashing

Isn't that like two stories high of 78s?

Hey, I like the Shostakovich 7th. Especially Steinberg's performance (yup, on Musicrap 78s).

dl

phillip holmes wrote:
Have you ever heard the Shostakovitch 7th done by Bernstein and Chicado on DG? It's a live recording (as opposed to dead). It's a much maligned piece, but Bernstein really makes something of the 4th movement. I think they were overloading the microphone preamps or the console. At one point, the sound goes from really loud, to sinus clearing level, to Saturn V taking off, and it gets hard and glassy sounding. I've played it back on $2k super high end DACs and it always sounds bad, but the performance, because Bernstein was a showoff, actually makes the piece fun. Most other recordings, he gets on my nerves. He's a take it or leave it kind of guy. I do like the Ormandy performance of Hindemith's Symphonic Metamorphosis, but the sound is so mushy. Phillip