[ARSCLIST] January issue of Black Grooves

The January issue of Black Grooves has now been posted at
http://www.blackgrooves.org/

This month we're starting off with a tribute to the late, great
Godfather of Soul James Brown, and examining his early output on the
Federal label out of Cincinnati (and be sure to follow the link to a
great piece by "Uncle" Dave Lewis). We're also taking at look at several
compilations featuring early soul and r&b artists, as well as the latest
release by neo-soul singer India.Arie. On the contemporary side, there
are debut albums from Chicago's Lupe Fiasco and New York rocker Alice
Smith, and the latest CD from Philly DJ Viktor Dupliax. Speaking of
Chicago, Delmark Records continues to issue great jazz, and this time
around we're reviewing a live performance of the Ernest Dawkin's New
Horizons Ensemble (on DVD and CD). Finally, for something completely
different and incredibly fascinating, don't miss Por Por: Honk Music of
Ghana, a new release by Smithsonian Folkways due out in February.

Brenda Nelson-Strauss

Head of Collections

Archives of African American Music and Culture

Indiana University

Smith Research Center, Suite 180

Bloomington, IN 47408

812-855-7530