[ARSCLIST] square waves....Re: [ARSCLIST] Libraries disposing of records

A square wave on a record doesn't look like a square because of the velocity involved--or something--that I can't explain. A square wave is built up of stacked "odd integer harmonics" and contains multiple harmonics. Somewhere around 12 harmonics, it really looks like a square wave. The more harmonics present, the more perfectly formed the square wave becomes. A perfect square wave would require infinite bandwidth and infinitely fast electronics (forget the stylus, we can't even generate a perfect square wave, only a mathematical representation of one). What it looks like on record is fundamentally different from what a scope shows. There's no co correlation. Somewhere I have an email from Stan Ricker about it. If I can find it, I'll send it along.
Phillip

Mike Richter wrote:
Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Phillips" <scottp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Use sound forge or similar and look at a remastered LP at the least, or
a current recording... The results are a LOT of square waves<snip>

Would it be possible/practical to record a signal containing "square
waves" (or approximately such)? Can an analog stylus make such an
abrupt right/left turn?

Yes on both counts - but with caveats.

1. The signal will not be captured perfectly. One needs to define how accurate a capture qualifies as success.

2. The higher the frequency, the lower the accuracy of capture. The higher the amplitude, the more likely that artifacts will be detected.

3. The detector (stylus, cartridge and preamp) are sources of imprecision in matching input to output.

NOTE: Ringing can be eliminated by rolling off the highs - another source of inaccuracy.

Mike