Re: [ARSCLIST] Libraries disposing of records

Hi Aaron:

I'm a fan of your work, and I think you'd sit there at a mastering session and fight to preserve dynamics (and the mastering engineer, if he's worth the space he's occupying, would agree with you anyway), but the whole Loudness War thing is mostly the product of record company hacks demanding "I want my Britney Spears wannabe to sound as loud as their Britney Spears wannabe" and passive mastering engineers just going along to cash the check and keep the client. Bob Orban, the inventor of most of what is used on way out of an FM control room today, wrote a detailed analysis of what radio stations should DEMAND an end to the "wars" (see link below). Unfortunately, the same breed of tool runs a typical ClearChannel region as runs a typical Big Music A&R department today.

Hey, kewl. I Googled "Orban loudness wars" and got ... me.

Two good articles linked here. And, another in a long list of my bitching about CD remastering "engineers".

Tom Fine wrote:

Here's a link to the actual article in case you want to print for the files.

http://www.austin360.com/music/content/music/stories/xl/2006/09/28cover.html

Thanks Dave, this is a good presentation of a vexing self-inflicted wound.

I think we've run this issue around, but that might be the Ampex list. For more perspective, see Bob
Orban's excellent article:
http://www.orban.com/support/orban/techtopics/Appdx_Radio_Ready_The_Truth_1.3.pdf
which shows that these over-loud CD's sound even worse after being put through FM processing.

It's just disgraceful how 50 years of progress in sound recording and reproduction -- to where at
least a few recordings each year were truly life-like -- is being erased in less than a generation.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Parker Dinkins" <parker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>