Re: [ARSCLIST] Interesting WSJ Article on when libraries should discard their holdings.

I would like to put a different slant on this, being a sound archivist.  I
have worked on hundreds of oral histories, many of which have a
transcription which accompanies them.  In my experience, I have found that
many of the transcriptions do not reflect the intention of the spoken word.
The transcriber has put a whole new meaning to what was meant by the
'talent'.

In cases, such as this, I advise that the researcher/interested party read
and listen simultaneously.  Let them be the judge.  For instance, I found
one nameless interviewer, who also happened to transcribe the work, to put
in entire sentences, and change around the meaning of other sentences, to
make themselves appear, perhaps, intelligent.  I find this unethical, to say
the least.

I think there is a place for both, and that culling collections be done with
great care.  What may not be important now to that library, may mean a
million dollars to others in the future.  I do realize that space is a
problem for many.

My sixpence worth.

Cheers

Marie

Marie O'Connell
Sound Archivist/Audio Engineer/Sound Consultant
3017 Nebraska Avenue
Santa Monica, CA, 90404
Ph: 310-453-1615
Fax: 310-453-1715