To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2007 6:21 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Interesting WSJ Article on when libraries should discard their holdings.

I think in the age of the Internet and online reservation/hold systems, local libraries probably can get rid of a lot of overlap over time. I know our local branch here in Bedford Hills NY is massively growing its DVD and audiobooks holdings, somewhat growing its music CD's and slowly discarding more and more print books. The deep stacks just don't circulate and when there are several other rarely-circulated copies in the county library system, they need to clear out space. I understand the reasoning very clearly, but I hope the efforts are all coordinated so one or two copies of seldom-circulated works remain available. At least the "classics." As for sound recordings, there is a specific arts/music library in the system, which still circulates vinyl (although the records are usually not in good condition).

Agree that there's a difference between a research/archive library and a local public library. A PUBLIC library is funded by and answerable to the public. In other words, if the people want DVD's and audiobooks, it's the library's job to provide them. A librarian who looks askance at a fellow wanting to borrow "Terminator 2" DVD instead of the dusty copy of "For Whom The Bell Tolls" book should not be working at a public library.

For what it's worth, new and bestseller books seem to circulate hard and fast, but the reading crowd these days doesn't seem interested in the deep stacks. In my case, I am happy enough with this trend because my middle aged eyes don't like paperbacks so I've been slowly replacing my favorite books with usually first edition and excellent condition hard covers for a couple dollars each at various library sales. But, for the record, I don't pretend to be a bibliophile and actually prefer audiobooks for most new stuff. I can process aural info faster than I can read and I remember things told to me or heard via audiobook or radio more clearly than things read.

-- Tom Fine