Re: [ARSCLIST] Tower Records

We only had one Tower in Michigan but I used to travel to Ann Arbor frequently as I enjoyed shopping there. It closed several years ago. Jack

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cary Ginell" <SoundThink@xxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 01, 2007 2:41 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Tower Records

In a message dated 1/1/2007 10:59:17 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
smolians@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I understand that the Rockville, MD Tower store is being reopened under new
ownership. The rumor I heard (from an employee) is that interests from
Everest Records are behind it.

Bernie Solomon, who owns Everest Records, is related to the late Maynard and
Seymore Solomon who owned Vanguard, et seq.

Russ Solomon founded Tower and recently expressed an interest in buying the
chain post-bankrupcy.

Is Russ Solomon related to the Vanguard/Everest clan?

If this is a development, what is transpiring?

Steve Smolian

I don't know, but when I was in San Francisco last week, the Tower at the
corner of Columbus & Bay, which I first frequented in 1973, stands empty and
abandoned. Their marquee read: Thank You SF for a Great 38 Years. The first
record I bought there was the 2-LP Columbia set, "The Bob Wills Anthology,"
which triggered my interest in western swing. That was a great Tower. At least it
was still standing so I could take one last picture of it.

Cary  Ginell
Origin Jazz  Library
www.originjazz.com