Re: [ARSCLIST] Clara Rockmore Theremin recordings

You guys really make us work sometimes, and I just had to dig into my old 45s to come up with three disks from a vintage ('50s) Capitol album that had a seminude girl on the cover (which I can't find right now). It was entitled "Music for Peace of Mind" (aka theremin music).
http://www.317x.com/albums/h/samuelhoffman/card.html
The artists are Dr. Samuel J. Hoffman and Billy May and his orchestra. These are the six selections:

This Room is My Castle of Quiet
The Darkness Gives Me You Again
Remembering Your Lips
My Troubles Float Away Like Fallen Leaves
Your Soft Hand on My Brow
I Dream of a Past Love

It was my first exposure to the theremin aside from its use in Miklos Rósza's Oscar winning score of Hitchcock's "Spellbound".

Ah, youth!

I'm sure someone else will come up with more information on Dr. Hoffman and the album.

Rod Stephens

Tom Fine wrote:

Hi Bret:

Thanks for all the great information. I just ordered a copy of the Bridge CD. I definitely noted the dull sound on the Delos CD and just figured, well, that was what the budget allowed as far as recording quality. Great to know it was actually better fidelity.

Also good to hear the new Moog instruments are so good. I've been considering one for years but know full well that to be a real musician on one of these things, you need to practice as hard or harder than any other instrument and the time is unlikely available to me.

Happy New Year and thanks again for the good tip.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bret" <echoplex@xxxxxxxxx>