[ARSCLIST] The New POLK MILLR and Old South QT. CD and bok from Ken Flaherty

I'm posting this to  Phonolist, 78-L and ARSCLIst.

Today I received the new book/CD that Ken Flaherty just self-published on
the life and recordings of Polk Miller and the Old South Quartet. I mist say
that when I opened the package, I was blown away by how beautifully crafted the
26 page 9inx9in book is. (It even has a great paper band with advertising of
a  Miller concert around the booklet.).

Miller (who was White) and the Quartet (who were Black) only made 14
recordings: 7 cylinders for Edison in 1909 and 7 discs for QRS/Broadway in 1928  (19
years apart!). Flaherty had all these transferred by either Glenn Sage's  tone
arm or the Archeophone that Kurt Nauck has. These are on the CD bound in  the
back of the book. The 7 cylinders are on there twice: once as unprocessed
and a second time with noise reduction.

The text consists of a re-write and update by historian Doug Seroff of his
1988 article in the 78 Quarterly.

I'll be reviewing the book in my column in In The Groove in a few  months but
I wanted to give everyone a heads up on this publication. Especially  those
interested in early Black recordings.

You can see images and order (It's $28. postpaid) from Ken at his website:
www.polkmiller.com

This project is definitely one of reverence for an artist.

Steve Ramm