Re: [ARSCLIST] Recommended software to make an iPod dump its library to iTunes on a second computer

Steven C. Barr(x) wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
OK, now here's the question at hand. There seem to be several programs out
there that will let me
connect up my iPod to second computer and dump its music library into that
computer's iTunes
library, rather than over-write the iPod with music from what's already on
that computer. What I'd
like to do is sync up the iTunes at both work and home with the iPod being the
sync'ing medium.
If all else fails...simply rename the existing folder that contains the
music as sound files, so the software can't find it to overwrite. Then,
you can use standard Windows Explorer (the XXI-Jahrhundert version of
"File Manager") commands and mouse manipulations to get all the sound
files into one folder. Then, another "iaaf" answer...burn that folder
onto a CD-R or DVD-R (or more) and use that to put all the sound files
on both machines...

I believe there's a basic struggle here which Steven rightly tries to circumvent. While the iPod is a serviceable memory, its interface makes it all but useless for conventional memory functions. Such a function is synchronizing.

Any portable memory will serve the purpose: optical drive, flash drive and removable hard drive are all candidates depending on the volume of audio files involved. You can even use a spare iPod - if you keep it from treating the files as audio.

Use Windows software to sync the files on your HDD with those of the portable device, then let iTunes find them and do its thing.

OTOH, you may want to ignore my input as prejudiced. I've spent far too much time unscrewing the damage done to my system by QuickTime ever to let another Apple program on it. My paradigm for audio mamagement is not Apple's and the last time I looked, I owned my computer. My MP3 players may not be as snazzy as the iPod, but they're less demanding and less costly.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/