To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2006 2:37 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Dating LPs ?

The scenario: I've got a "few" Long Plays (LPs) and I would love to be able
to ascertain an approximate "release date" for each as I am populating my
collection database. The approximations do not need to be of high
precision--a range of 3 to 4 months would suffice. Barring knowledge of the
existence of an "Almost Complete 78 RPM Record Dating Guide" for LPs, I'm
somewhat at a loss as to how I might be able to find such information. For
example, I would like to be able to take the label and catalog number of an
LP like a favorite of mine, (Mercury MS90488 Rodrigo: Concierto Andaluz,
Concierto de Aranjuez - Romeros), and be presented with the information I
seek.

Question 1: does any such general resource exist (in print or electronic)?
or currently being created?

Question 2 [and probably the REAL question of this post]: would anyone else
be interested in such a resource (other collectors, libraries, institutions,
etc.)?

I'm asking these questions because I am considering beginning such a project
and would like to hear your thoughts. I know that there are lots of details
to work through--first trying to see if there would be a need/use for such
effort.

Thanks Much for your Time,
D. Blake Werts