Date:    Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:37:57 -0500
From:    Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Digitizing libraries - OT comment

I'd be happy if the current LOC digital presence were more accessible to us taxpayers (ie owners). The searching online is just not anywhere near easy for a normal person. How come LOC can't contract with Google or someone to make the online search interface easier and quicker? Also, as far as I've experienced, there isn't a meta-search method, you have to find a specific collection and then search it and lord help you if you pick too vague a term. Bottom line, I'm college educated and pretty good at research and I've never had a lot of luck with any LOC website. I generally start with Google and find if the LOC is the only place to get it, ask my friend who works there to help me. As a taxpayer (ie owner) of the LOC, this makes me none too happy!

-- Tom Fine

-- Butch Lazorchak Squealer Music www.squealermusic.com

"Aloofness from practical politics was not the same as complacency; but if American intelligence could be measured by the Scopes trial, American justice by the Sacco-Vanzetti case, American tolerance by the Klan, and American political morals by the Prohibition farce and the Teapot Dome, it seemed simpler to catch the first liner to Europe or to retire to the library with the American Mercury than to engage oneself seriously with proposals to reform American life."
-Richard Hofstadter
-The Age of Reform: From Bryan to F.D.R (1955)