To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 3:54 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Digitizing libraries - OT comment

Tom Fine <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: >I'd be happy if the current LOC digital presence were more >accessible to us taxpayers (ie owners).
The searching online is just not anywhere near easy for a >normal person. How come LOC can't contract
with Google or someone to make the online search interface >easier and quicker?

Your question brings to mind that our library is working on that question...well kinda... We are currently migrating from what I think was a relatively good human interface to our own home made online system, to a turnkey system from Innovative Interfaces. That system (from "Innovative Interfaces) allows for some customization, however, having seen many of the customizations allowed by the system, it still seems like the basics are, library versus real world modalities of thinking.

However I do find the expectations raised by google, even within our more hard core librarians, to be quite fascinating. On the other hand that consideration reminds me that, from my perspective, were it not for a google or yahoo, the old linearity of the card catalog would likely remain...even in the digital environment.

I find , "Innovative Interfaces" to be an interesting choice for the name of the company. I love this quote from their "about us" page. "For 25 years, Innovative has worked with and for libraries, to create the most useful and robust products on the marketplace."

Note, they don't say that they worked "with and for library patrons." And no, I don't see that notion implied...

Karl