Re: [ARSCLIST] Digitizing libraries

Those weren't the guys with the $500 hammers, were they?

On 12/13/06, Karl Miller <karl.miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mike Richter <mrichter@xxxxxxx> wrote:    >Once upon a time, I had clearance to ask what the traffic and >storage numbers were for NSA. Since I never asked, I may
  >speculate that it would make the LoC's efforts pale in >comparison.

Which reinforces to me that librarians are not trained for dealing with large quantities of digital information. My friday lunch bunch includes a former Pentagon guy who was, for a time, in charge of the parts supply database for NATO. His IT people seemed to have plenty of experience in balancing the filtering, control and navigation of information. I would wonder if any research library can afford an IT staff on that level.

Karl

--
Frank B Strauss, DMD