Re: [ARSCLIST] huge number of links on digital preservation

Hello, Ron,

I'm too swamped with moving around gigabytes of audio and deadlines to get deeply into this, but there is a huge dichotomy out there which may be reduced in the future, but it's the cost per GB of raw consumer-level hard drives and the cost per GB per year of managed storage. The cost of consumer hard drives for a given amount of storage is a small percentage of the cost per GB per year of managed storage. I don't have a precise percentage, but it's in the neighbourhood of 5-10%, maybe less.

So those of us who look at hard drive costs from CDW or Amazon or NewEgg and then go to buy a finished storage system end up with sticker shock on the storage system.

I'm not sure where all this is going, but, long term, even the managed storage will drop.

LTO tape is inexpensive, but one LTO drive will cost about as much as I have invested in a triple-redundant 1250 GB hard-drive storage system. It costs me about $3/GB to add storage to it (in 250 GB lumps). I can easily triple it before I run into brick walls--as long as I look at it as 250 GB (or 500 GB) chunks, and don't try and manage it as a 3 GB single file system.

Cheers,

Richard