Re: [ARSCLIST] Britain: Gowers Report on Intellectual Property

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Olhsson" <olh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Steven C. Barr writes:
> >Generally, this depends on whether or not the artists had good lawyers!
>
> I remember there being quite a controversy about this back in 1978. DMA
publicists love to ignore the facts about artists' rights in their agenda to
justify minimizing the royalty expenses of their members.

Part of the problem is that artists...especially younger artists...are so
thrilled by
the offer of a "real recording contract" that they all too often don't bother
reading
the ENTIRE document...which takes away much of what they should be entitled
to while making most of the expenses their responsibility (they all figure on
being "the next Rolling Stones" once their talent(?!) is made available to
the public...!)...

Then, one day they notice how small their cheques are, and what the company
is entitled to change in their recordings, stage shows, usw...

Steven C. Barr
(and they see their "magnum opi" showing up in delete bins and dollar stores
as "remaindered product...")