Re: [ARSCLIST] The ways CD's and DVD's can fail.

Hello Bob

On 07/12/06, Bob Olhsson wrote:
> At 5:26 PM -0500 12/7/06, Jerome Hartke wrote:
>> A high quality DVDR written at 1X is superior to a high quality CD-R
>> written at 52X. Be careful with generalities. Many DVDR playability
>> issues are unrelated to the media or writer, and are caused by the
>> failure of old players to recognize a DVDR disc because of obsolete
>> firmware.
>
> In my case I have to load my clients' audio files from DVDRs almost
> every day and I'm not alone in finding them to be far less reliable
> than CDRs. How exactly do you define "superior?"

If a CD is labelled as "52x", that is the absolute maximum speed that
will give usable recordings. At that speed, the CDs are on the
borderline of "reliable".

The optimum speed could be half the stated maximum or less. Halving the
speed is equivalent to giving one stop more exposure to a photographic
film.

Regards
--
Don Cox