Re: [ARSCLIST] The ways CD's and DVD's can fail.

Steven C. Barr writes:
>I believe there was a post in this thread that referred to a
>short(ish) life span for commercial pressed CD's of earlier
>years. Is right? And, if so, what would cause this?

There was a problem with a chemical reaction between a particular common ink and the reflective surface of manufactured CDs.

Complex new compounds that turned out to be unstable in the presence of each other over time have created the vast majority of media longevity issues. There is no way to test for this other than to wait it out.

Most business leaders would probably flip out if they understood how fundamentally unstable digital storage media is.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051    http://www.hyperback.com