Re: [ARSCLIST] National Recorded Sound Preservation Study

The "Notice of Inquiry" for this study was posted to ARSC on October 27.
Please note that written comments are actively sought from the public and will be accepted through January 30, 2007.  More info at:
http://www.loc.gov/rr/record/nrpb/nrpb-clir.html
or
a shorter version of the notice can be found at:
http://www.loc.gov/film/RecSoundstudyannouncement1.pdf

Steve Leggett, Program Coordinator
National Film Preservation Board
National Recording Preservation Board
Library of Congress (4690)
MBRS Division
Washington, D.C. 20540
p: 202/707-5912
f: 202/707-2371
email: sleg@xxxxxxx
WWW: http://www.loc.gov/film/
http://www.loc.gov/rr/record/nrpb/

Also visit the Web site of our charitable
affiliate, the National Film Preservation
Foundation at
http://www.filmpreservation.org

>>> mikel78_rpm@xxxxxxxxxxx 11/18/06 3:55 PM >>>

I cannot get the details for the NYC hearings.  Can someone post them here?

>From: David Lennick <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [ARSCLIST] National Recorded Sound Preservation Study
>Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:00:54 -0500
>
>Don't know if this has been mentioned here. Forwarded from ToNY to 78-L.
>
>http://www.loc.gov/rr/record/nrpb/nrpb-clir.html
>
>Jim Baldwin wrote:
>
> > Heads up from another site:
> > > Don't know how many of you are aware of this but the National
> > > Recording  Preservation Board of the Library of Congress is
> > > holding public hearings in L.A. on  Nov. 29 and NYC on Dec. 19
> > > to solicit comment on (among other things) how copyright law
> > > might be changed to encourage preservation of and access to
> > > historic recordings.  This is a rare opportunity to go on record
> > > and perhaps -  perhaps - even influence public policy about
> > > access to old recordings.
> > > They're accepting written comments from corporations, archives
> > > and "the  considerable population of individuals with personal,
> > > often specialized collections  of recorded sound, including
> > > published and unpublished materials."  The  deadline for
> > > submissions for the L.A. hearings is past, but for the NYC
> > > hearing (to  be held at the Princeton Club on 43rd Street) it is
> > > November 28.
> > >
> > > Considering the controversy over copyright these days this could
> > > be lively!   Does anyone know if anyone in the press is planning
> > > to cover this?
> > > Details are at http://www.loc.gov/rr/record/nrpb/nrpb-clir.html

friends module.