Re: [ARSCLIST] Effect of vibrations on audio tape

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006, Peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> A number of others have commented on possible vibration and flooding issues
> so I won't belabor those points except to say that I agree with them.  As a
> disaster recovery facility, we have had to deal with large numbers of tapes
> that were unfortunate enough to be stored in the basement when there was a
> flood. When water is involved, basements are just BAD.

I am also reminded of the floods in Houston some years ago. We tried,
without much luck, to save several years of the Houston Symphony broadcast
tapes when the Symphony offices flooded. It was at that time
that...working with one sympathetic individual...not an administrator...we
moved the Houston Symphony tapes in our collection from the third basement
(known for its floods) to the main floor...we had to "bend" the
rules...and bypass one of our administrators.

Karl