Re: [ARSCLIST] Disney = God?--was: The Incompetence of Sonny Bono

I Must Add...

The definative Peter Pan will always be either ( 1924 ) Betty Bronson
or (1960)  Mary Martin with Ernst Torrence or Cyril Richard respectively
as Capt. Hook.

These 2 performances  leave Disney's "Pan"  in the dust. As much as I
enjoy the Disney version, which I do, there's just no comparison.

IMNSHO,

Bob Hodge

>>> davlew@xxxxxxxxxxxx 10/31/2006 4:05 PM >>>
Some previous exchanges on this topic:

> Actually, the Disney empire has essentially taken over any number of
> traditional literary characters! In the 21st century, we inevitably
> think of the Disney versions of Snow White, Peter Pan, Winnie the
> Pooh... and so on.

Snow White possibly, but certainly I don't think of the Disney
versions
of Pooh or Wind in the Willows first.

XXX

Indeed, the thesis that "The Disney Version" supersedes that version of
children's tale that one sees in their own imagination is an old one,
dating
back to Richard Schickel's book entitled "The Disney Version,"
published, I
think, in 1962. I can concur with Snow White also, but this broad
theorem
doesn't apply to everything. The book established Schickel as the
movie
critic that he is now, and I'm not sure even he would put much stock in
the
idea. If anything, by now Disney has contributed as much to the realm
of
Fantasy stories as they have co-opted - there was certainly no "Lion
King"
in my childhood.

But I hardly think that Disney's "Cinderella" has become synonymous in
the
minds of little girls with what the story means, or that their "Little
Mermaid" has overridden the one worshipped by the Danes, or that their
"Alice in Wonderland" takes the place of Lewis Carroll's book. Back in
the
80s, there was a publisher who designed a Beatrix Potter book replacing
all
of the original, lavish illustrations with generic, rounded off
photographs
of Barney-like figures as "These are the images that kids associate
with
characters they see on TV." And it wasn't successful - no one wanted
it.

David N. Lewis
Assistant Classical Editor, All Music Guide

"Music expresses what one cannot say, but about which one cannot
remain
silent." - Victor Hugo