Re: [ARSCLIST] Effect of vibrations on audio tape

In a message dated 10/27/2006 5:55:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
seubert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Speaking  of interference, our campus is about a mile from the Santa
Barbara  airport. We get interference from the airport radar (we think).
It's  cyclical and we've ruled out just about everything else (elevators,
fluorescent lights). It's only picked up by things that are microphonic
like phono cartridges and doesn't affect the shielded balanced lines. If
you listen very, very carefully to our cylinders you might be able to
hear it.

I attended Hofstra University in the mid-'50s.  Mitchell Air Force  Base was
across the highway.  Sitting on the second floor in the student  lounge,
through a radio which was NOT on, I would hear a Zummm sound every time  the
airport radar swept the campus.

Don Chichester