[ARSCLIST] Antiskate important (was Mostly for laughs)

Antiskate is certainly critical when you are dealing with discs with
certain types of groove damage.  Without antiskate, you'll get stylus
skipping of grooves - whether you use a pivoted or linear tracking
tonearm.  With some diagonal scratches, it helps to use less antiskate
to prevent repeating of grooves.  Sometimes negative antiskate would
be useful - but no such pivoted tonearm that I'm aware of has this
feature.

The SME 309, 312, iV and V tonearms have antiskate that can be adjusted
easily while the disc is playing, making them useful for restoration
work on damaged discs.  We use both pivoted and linear tonearms for
maximum flexibility.

The amount of antiskate required increases with non-orthogonal forces
to the stylus.  In the case of pivoted tonearms, this means more
antiskate is needed with coarser grooves, increased VTF (Vertical
Tracking Force), and more RPM.

In addition to antiskate, lateral damping can help track damaged
discs.  Viscous damping troughs are useful in this way for both
pivotal and linear tracking arms.

Eric Jacobs
General Manager

The Audio Archive