[ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCLIST] Dynamic-frequency Range

  Regarding Karl's comments and questions about dynamic compression on Victor
records of the late '30s and '40s and what cutters of the time could achieve:

  In fact, from about 1935 until 1939 Victor used less compression than other
companies (in classical orchestral music). Their period of heavy compression
seems to have begun with the resumption of recording after the Union ban, in
late 1944. After that it got progressively worse. By about 1950 some
recordings, especially of Stokowski and Munch and the BSO, were so compressed that there
was essentially no dynamic range at all. (Munch's first Schumann Spring
Symphony, LM-1190, is a particularly flagrant example.)

  The Victor 78s to which I referred above were another story. Even today,
their dynamic range is arresting and vivid. Toscanini's 78s with the New York
Philharmonic-Symphony in early 1936 are an excellent example. When the Beethoven
7th was reissued on Camden CAL-352 in 1957, the notes were by Irving Kolodin.