Re: [ARSCLIST] Acetate tape discolours tape box

At 03:18 PM 10/18/2006, Bev Lambert wrote:
You are right. IPI only makes claims for the use of AD strips on acetate
base FILM.
Joe Iraci and his colleagues at CCI would be able to tell you more
about the audio media.  It seems tape has had more of the SSS -sticky
shed syndrome than VS. I got a bit carried away with the acetic acid
detection...Bev Lambert

Hi, Bev,

Joe and I hope next year to work on a project that he had already proposed and then I proposed expanding it to test freezing of tape. While he is aware of the VS issue in tape, I don't think Joe has done any studies specifically for that. In fact, I'm not sure there are any studies which is why I'm pushing here and there trying to see what the real answers are. Many of the reports of white "exudate" when tapes were frozen at high altitudes (which could not be duplicated in a climate chamber with the same alleged parameters--at least I'm not aware of any duplication) were with PET-based tape and not acetate based tape, but the storage recommendations are broad-brush. I think we may need to segregate tapes, but also, theoretically, SSS can be retarded by dry storage (I'm not sure if cold helps or not).

However, I've been seeing tapes that do not respond to baking and I'm calling that SBS - Soft Binder Syndrome. Fortunately at least two of these tape types play well at 4C - put the player in the fridge, shut the door, let everything equalize, press play.

Cheers,

Richard