To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 12:47 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Acetate tape discolours tape box

on 10/17/06 8:41 AM US/Central, Tom Fine at tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

what does the vinegar syndrome do to the tape?

In extreme cases, it will warp so much that 1) head contact will be quite poor and erratic, 2) it will not stay in the tape guides, and 3) it cannot be wound back onto the reel from which it came.

All of these problems can be overcome to some extent by increasing tape
tension way beyond normal, i.e., by using mechanical friction in the tape
supply path. Not all tape players will work with the increased tension that
may be required.

Another thing that happens in extreme cases is that the tape loses mass
(i.e., becomes noticeably lighter).

---
Parker Dinkins
MasterDigital Corporation