To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 9:21 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Acetate tape discolours tape box

In a message dated 10/17/2006 8:50:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
cpeterso@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Wow!  What a compelling picture.  There are a number of companies that
make archival boxes specially designed to absorb offgasses, but I've
never seen such a visually strong argument for using them before.
********************

"I recently came across a 3-inch reel of acetate tape, not in its original
box, that showed the following pattern in the box. I recently came across a
3-inch reel of acetate tape, not in its original box, that showed the following
pattern in the box."

I've seen this before, but only on the 3" reels of this type in the "tape
correspondence" boxes. I noticed it years ago, when the tapes were relatively
new. Can you smell any acetic acid on the tape or box?

From using these tapes, usually sold in poly bags without boxes, in the days
before cassettes, I remember that they had a distinctive smell when new. The
boxes were sold separately, unfolded, so a new one could be used when the tapes
were reused. I haven't seen this effect on name brand tapes, even the Kodak
tapes that smell strongly of vinegar (and always have).

One may need to do so some chemical analysis before drawing conclusions. It
seems strange that a gas like the acid vapor would produce such a sharp image
of the reel instead of diffusing throughout the box. Perhaps a larger molecule
is responsible for the staining.

Mike Csontos