Re: [ARSCLIST] European Archive Foundation

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Shoshani" <mshoshani@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 12:35 -0700, Roger and Allison Kulp wrote:
> > >From the homepage:
> >   Recordings
> >   0 Recordings
> >   Due to copyright issues, the items in this category cannot be displayed in
your jurisdiction.
> >   Ain't freedom grand ?
>
> A convenient expedient would probably to find a proxy server overseas
> (not difficult with search engines), put its coordinates into your
> browser as the proxy server, and make yourself appear to be coming from
> England or Australia or such.
>
> Not that I would ever ever advocate breaking the stranglehold of the
> court system of the State of New York on any recording ever made,
> including Charles Cros' lampblack discs, or course...

Interestingly enough...should some labourer, asked to move around
some of the furniture at the Edison National Historic Site, discover
a battered sheet of metial which, when closely examined, proves to
play back a male voice reciting "Mary Had a Little Lamb"...

It might take a court battle to legally decide that the artifact
was officially Mr. Edison's first sound recording, and as such
part of the archives under the control of the National Park Service,
before we would be able to hear it!