Re: [ARSCLIST] Making a dying genre relevant

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Hodge" <rjhodge@xxxxxxx>
> Those doors on the  "hallowed halls " need to come down before  they
> become hollowed halls.

The problem is that they probably won't...and quite possibly CAN'T...
"come down!" I have no idea how many players would make up an average
symphony orchestra...so, for the sake of argument, I'll say fifty.

So, if we take 50 x minimum "scale" (remember, they may be contracted
for more than acale) we are probably looking at $15,000-$20,000 total.
Now, add in the other costs (the "overhead" as it were) and we are
looking at a fair sum of money!

Now, to accurately go into this further, I'd need a lot of figures
I don't have...how many people, on the average, attend these events
(among others...).

The final question (more or less)...

Is it possible, in the averaqe community (or in yours) for a
symphony orchestra to operate as a "paying proposition?" If so,
what average ticket prices are necessary? If not, who should
make up the difference (usually some level of government, which
means it has to be justified to the taxpayers...)?

Obviously, there aren't simple answers here...