Re: [ARSCLIST] Are we at the end of the road musically??

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
> Pythagoras is credited with the term "music of the spheres", building
> the same laws of harmony and dissonance you suggest. However, the music
> of India and to a lesser extent also of Greece itself goes against those
> laws.

No...the book suggested that research had verified the existence of
identifiable quarter-tones (which are used in Oriental musics) but
placed the limit of identifiability at that interval. Note that this
doesn't mean whether one can differentiate through comparison (which
suggests either simultaneous or very short-term sequential existence
of both tones)...but whether the two tones, if they existed in a
piece of music but not following one another immediately, would be
heard as identifiably different "notes"...

I don't recall, though, if it discussed the range of frequencies
that would be perceived as a single note by an individual with
perfect pitch?