Re: [ARSCLIST] Musican's compensation, wa CD versus Download was "All hail the analogue revolution..."

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Bob Olhsson wrote:

> Karl Miller wqrote:
> >Consider all of those young rock and roll musicians
> >who put their recordings up on the web and allow free downloads, just to
> >let people hear their music...and so they might be able to develop a
> >following and get gigs. Does the lack of payment for those free downloads
> >discourage them from playing and making those recordings available?
>
> This has been one of the most specious song sharking scams in history. It's unheard
of for free downloads to drive CD sales or sell tickets to see anybody but a "name"
performer. It has been around long enough that people are starting to realize this
form of "exposure" has been an utter failure.

I didn't say it was successful, I wrote that do so that they might be able
to develop a following. As to whether or not is is a failure or not, I
don't know of any statistical information that can support one perspective
or another...yet many startup bands still use this approach.

> The working conditions for musicians today are dramatically worse than they were
when I started during the mid 1960s. Busking on the street provides more useful
exposure and pays better than most club gigs. Nobody can make a living in the minor
leagues. This is why there isn't a whole lot to choose from in today's major
leagues and a lot of the public is yawning at the idea of spending money on music
or music reproduction compared to the past.

I hope you don't get the idea that I am happy with the current state of
affairs. I believe we have the recording to blame for much of decline not
only for the revenue streams for musicians, but also our appreciation for
music...I am afraid I am a bit like the old John Phillip Sousa..."canned
music" doesn't always serve music well...

But as far as the minor leagues is concerned...were it not for the minor
leagues I would have starved to death at times in my life...but then I
sold my soul to a University. I also think of those who play a
bit and teach and do other jobs to put food on the table. True, they are
doing more than just playing.

What bothers me, perhaps even more, is the way in which music itself has
become devalued in the minds of many. In the days of old, to have music,
one had to be able to make music, and to make music one had to know music
in a different way than one does just as a passive listener. For me, that
is perhaps the greatest tragedy.

I am reminded of my composition teacher who insisted that I spend a few
semesters working in the electronic music studio. Prior to that time I was
only interested in writing for acoustic instruments and found electronic
music...well...not music. After a few semesters working with the
equipment, my attitude changed dramatically.

Karl